Group Riding Safety
Helmets are REQUIRED to ride with the Stateline Spinners.
Legality of Group Riding
- “Riding two abreast is permitted as long as the normal and reasonable movement of traffic is not impacted”
- “Riding more than two abreast is prohibited except on paths of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles”
Why Ride in Group?
- Safer? Yes & No; a skill set is required and can’t control motorists
How do we ride in a group?
- Wheel distance usually 1-3 feet
- Trust in other riders
- Wheel overlap….do at own risk
- think of the group
Group Riding Techniques
- Pace line….wind, “pulling off”, “going dead”
- Echelon…pace line at an angle
- Rotating pace line
- May use all on a given ride
Fitness of Riders
- 65% Rule
- Fast riders slow down and do more work
- Slow riders speed up and do more work
- 15 mph — 100-135 watts
- 25 mph — 295-320 watts
- 27 mph — 360 watts and up
How to have “class as a rider”
- Are you the strongest…do more work
- Are you the weakest…do less work
- Ride clean, be smooth and courteous
- Eventually everyone dissapoints…;earn, forgive and have fun!